Final Score: Lakers 96 - Jazz 71
Stats: Box Score courtesy of Yahoo! Sports
Video: Game Highlights courtesy of NBA.com
CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES COME ON!!! Lakers looked KOOL out there AND THE weak game Utah brought last night was GANGed up by the Lakers. They finally grab their first win of the season all thanks to good old-fashioned defense.
I was getting nervous, Lakers hadn't won a game since April 28, 2011. They earned this victory convincingly over the Utah Jazz which allowed Kobe plenty of resting time in the fourth.
Lets point out why the Lakers were so successfull against the Utah Jazz.
- Jazz had no starters scoring in double digits. Lakers first unit outscored Utah's starters by 39 points. (Utah 30 - L.A. 69)
- Lakers honed in around the perimeter allowing Utah only 1 made three-pointer from 13 attempts.
- Both Kobe and Gasol shot better - Kobe had 26 pts. (8-17 FG/3-5 3PT) & Pau had his first 20+ point game w/ 22 (6-11 FG)
- Lakers were more aggressive over the much younger Utah team. (Free-throws: Lakers 30-37 - Jazz 12-17)
- Defense - Lakers held the Jazz to just 71 points. Gasol had a game high 5 block shots.
- Metta continues to play well coming off the bench. He had 14 points. For Metta the words "coming off the bench" are really just words because he's getting more minutes than starter Ebanks.
L.A.'s next opponent comes all the way from New York City. The Knick are strong and Melo had an unbelievable game one of the season scoring 37 points. This will be the Lakers toughest match-up so far but it will be at home so maybe the home crowd can be the difference in the game.